« Funeral arrangements - David Furness | Main | Your presence is requested at Cardiff parkrun ~ a Memorial to David Furness »
Saturday
Oct102009

Club tribute at parkrun ~ Memorial to David Furness

I wanted to write something to say thank you to everyone for this morning, but I have Davey Proud to thank for the choice of title.

What do I say other than THANK YOU for all who managed to make it this morning to parkrun after my request on Thursday night and via the e-mail, also thank you to all those who couldn't make it but sent their apologies. I honestly had no idea how many from the club would turn up this morning with the Gwent Lge tomorrow. I was pleasantly surprised, we were represented by 73 members, 51 running and 22 either helping or supporting, I can't think of another club that could produce that level of support. There are photos from today on the Cardiff parkrun website, there is also a tribute folder to David on there.

This week has been a tough one for me, and I hope that I have managed to do the Club, David and his family justice.

Once again thank you for your support.

Phil

Reader Comments (15)

Phil, I know I'm speaking for everyone when I say I think you did a great job in managing such a tragic and difficult event both on Thursday night and especially today at Parkrun. It was a privelage to be part of it even in just a small way.

Davey P

October 11, 2009 at 12:14 AM | Unregistered CommenterDavey P

Davey,

I totally agree and feel proud to be a member of a great group.

Thanks Phil

October 11, 2009 at 12:16 AM | Unregistered CommenterKell Portelli

Same goes for me well done Phil

October 11, 2009 at 12:17 AM | Unregistered CommenterJen Salter

Absolutely! It's an honor to be part of LC and to have such great co-members and dedicated captain. Well done and thank you!!
Maria

October 11, 2009 at 12:18 AM | Unregistered CommenterMaria

Davey - spot on - Phil got it just right - everything he does for the club is more appreciated than he realises - and today he made it great to be associated with the club - John

October 11, 2009 at 12:18 AM | Unregistered CommenterJohn O'Shea

I am just adding to everyone else by saying you did a very good job today Phil...even if i forgot to wear my vest I was proud to be part of the run and the photo.
claire

October 11, 2009 at 12:19 AM | Unregistered CommenterClaire B

Same here. Felt LC did a good thing today. Well done Phil.

Libby

October 11, 2009 at 12:20 AM | Unregistered CommenterLibby

A moving tribute. Thanks, Phil.
Mike

October 11, 2009 at 12:20 AM | Unregistered CommenterMike Davies

Phil,

Agree with all that’s been said so far. I’m sure I can speak on behalf of my fellow San Dom members in sharing in the tributes paid to you for handling the occasion very well in difficult circumstances today. Also, impressed with the turnout of so many LC members, a fitting tribute to the late David F, and a credit your club and Parkrun.

Phil B

October 11, 2009 at 12:21 AM | Unregistered CommenterPhil B

Apologies on behalf of Matt, Graeme, Denis and myself who were unable to attend this morning's Pk Run tribute to David Furness. The Talybont 20 today, and a dress rehearsal for the OMM in two weeks (and a very early start...).

Driving there in Paul Dawes' car we chatted (as one does) and discussed the events in the club house last Thursday night. Feeling was it one of the most sensitivity handled eulogies any of us had ever experienced. Phil's delivery and carefully crafted words - and those of David's friend - plus the one minute ovation, all so very moving.

The circumstances tragic. Some things have to be done properly though.

Well run Phil...

t

October 11, 2009 at 12:22 AM | Unregistered CommenterTim

I'd like to say thanks to everyone who has sent a message of support, I think that this has probably been the hardest week I've gone through since taking over as Les Croupiers Captain and probably before that. Trying to put into words what was going through my mind wasn't easy, How should I balance it out, Had I said enough, Had I said too much!! I then had to decide where I was going to put the message, in the end I decided to cover every option I could think of. As we week moved on my worry was how would I cope with Thursday night and then Saturday morning? For this I firstly have to thank Mick for being my sounding board and for your support, I also need to thank Chris Morgan, it was Chris who e-mailed me with the sad news last Sunday, and then gave me his thoughts on what would best fit with David's character and finally for his contribution on Thursday night. I have to admit that I came away on Thursday feeling that I had done OK and survived, and I actually found this morning harder.

My real concerns for both Thursday night and this morning were that I did just to not only the Club but also to David and his family.

Phil

October 11, 2009 at 12:23 AM | Unregistered CommenterPhil

Sorry, but that last sentence should say:

My real concerns for both Thursday night and this morning were that I did justice to not only the Club but also to David and his family.

Phil

October 11, 2009 at 12:48 AM | Unregistered CommenterPhil

Phil, you have no reason to be another but proud for the effort put in by the club. Well done for marshalling the troops and organising such a fitting tribute. Very well done to David's friends and work colleagues who put in such a terrific effort.

October 11, 2009 at 8:18 PM | Unregistered CommenterSimon

I know Dave was proud to be a member of Les Croupiers, and would have been chuffed by Thursday nights applause and Saturdays attendance in his memory.
Well done Phil, the club should be proud of you too.

October 11, 2009 at 11:36 PM | Unregistered CommenterChris Morgan

Well done Phil, we were all proud of you and just pleased to be a part of it. It was wonderful to also be able to see and meet so many of David's friends and colleagues at the start of Parkrun - and it was a great feeling of solidarity to be able to stand and applaud along with them.
There are some things which the running community just does really well. One of the most humbling things I've ever had to experience was standing on the Start Line of the 2001 Berlin Marathon with Phil, being addressed by the Race Director of the New York Marathon - this was just 3 weeks after 9/11. The theme was very much one of World Peace and many of the runners had dressed up as symbols of New York and freedom - like the statue of liberty. It was an incredibly emotionally charged atmosphere.
Whilst not on the same scale, nor the same reason, those feelings of emotion mixed with solidarity came flooding back on Saturday morning. The brightness and tranquility of the morning just added to it all. I think David would have been very moved by it all.
Thanks for leading it, Phil.

October 12, 2009 at 3:13 PM | Unregistered CommenterMick

PostPost a New Comment

Enter your information below to add a new comment.
Author Email (optional):