Old forum > Virgin London Marathon 2010

Who is in via the ballot? I just came home to find an acceptance, time to get in touch with Mel I think.
Sorry to gloat . . . . actually that was pretty insincere, ignore that bit.

October 2, 2009 at 6:47 PM | Unregistered CommenterDominic

Rejected, dejected but .....something's bound to turn up.

October 2, 2009 at 6:51 PM | Unregistered CommenterMike Davies

I'm in :-)

October 2, 2009 at 6:51 PM | Unregistered CommenterMatt Hopkins

Reject (phew !)

October 2, 2009 at 10:27 PM | Unregistered CommenterTim

Left it too late to apply..... Note to self - get organized!

October 2, 2009 at 10:32 PM | Unregistered CommenterGraeme

If you have been rejected hold onto your notification as we will be doing the draw for the Club places in the next few weeks. Date to be announced.

October 2, 2009 at 10:52 PM | Unregistered CommenterPhil

Rejected but going to try to get a place in Paris. Allez, allez!

October 3, 2009 at 7:02 AM | Unregistered CommenterLiz Ashton

Paris is awesome - a better marathon in my opinion (I've done both - badly!). No ballot, first come first served, fills up around Jan/Feb and has a field around the same size as London.

You also get offered wine and cheese at a really Gallic feed station, which is always a winner.

October 3, 2009 at 10:25 AM | Unregistered CommenterSimon

I'm doing both Paris and London again because it seemed silly to not go for the hat-trick :-) 14 days apart this time, last year it was a yawning gap of three weeks and in 2008 it was an easier 7 days.

October 3, 2009 at 1:39 PM | Unregistered CommenterDominic

Meant to say, about 18000 places have gone for Paris, about 13000 left.

October 3, 2009 at 1:41 PM | Unregistered CommenterDominic

Where's Paris? Is it in the Gwent League?

October 3, 2009 at 2:34 PM | Unregistered CommenterGraeme

I'm in

Yippee !

Why should I be that excited to run another 26.2 miles ?

See ya Thursday.

October 3, 2009 at 4:14 PM | Unregistered CommenterKellinu

Paris meets the geographical criteria in that its somewhere on the globe but fails with the starting with "B" rule, however Bois de Boulogne eould work.

Kellinu, I have the same kind of "why?" feeling but without getting too Mr Miyagi I think its about the journey, not the destination . . . . . . . . . . wax on, wax off.

October 3, 2009 at 5:39 PM | Unregistered CommenterDominic

Way to go Dominic, Kalu, Matt - and Jenny (who has also landed a place according to her Facebook site). The odds of getting in via the draw are tiny. Those who've got lucky also richly deserve a place. "Fortune favours the brave" etc

Dom - Best of luck for the hatrick. Vous etes hardcore matey ! I'm worried about the Bois de Bologne as a potential Gwent League venue though. Far too much woodland, scenery, country, culture and so forth. Napoleon was rubbish at running around playing fields and designed parks accordingly. There again he did point out that an army marches on its stomach, so he gets my vote every time.

Encore une fois, whatever that means !

October 3, 2009 at 9:50 PM | Unregistered CommenterTim

Tim, thanks, Your mentioning of odds reminded me that I work in a statistical office, no please stay awake . . . anyway in looking for the odds of getting a London ballot place I found a very interesting site that gave the odds for all sorts of things including

Odds of becoming a saint: 20,000,000 to 1

Been there, done that.

Anyway I digress, what do we think the general consensus is about the new store on Newport Rd "Go Outdoors" ? I pronounce their Inov8 section "sparse".

October 3, 2009 at 10:48 PM | Unregistered CommenterDominic

I'm in. 'Good for age' is not what I see in the mirror though.

October 4, 2009 at 8:38 AM | Unregistered CommenterRichard

The Ladies seem to have encouraged a Versailles style to the Gwent League rather than Bois de Boulogne.
Many's the time after recent events have the ladies team been seen scoffing cake generally courtesy of Madame le Gateaux aka 'Libby' before the Men's race has commenced.
The cry seems to be "Let them eat cake" but only after you've finished your much longer and later starting race ;-)

October 4, 2009 at 4:14 PM | Unregistered CommenterSir Percy Blakeney

Statistically, no ....please stay awake, Dominic..... are you confirming your (un)official rise to sainthood?

October 4, 2009 at 6:56 PM | Unregistered CommenterMike Davies

I'm just reading what it says on my vest Mike :-)

October 4, 2009 at 8:10 PM | Unregistered CommenterDominic

Mike - martyrdom is the quickest route to Sainthood. A burning at the stake after Gwent League #1 OK for you Dom ? Don't forget the cake !

Agree with your views about the Grand Opening of 'GO Outdoors' (Newport Rd) Dominic - only two of the 46 types of Inov8 stocked AND they don't stock half sizes ! I don't think Up and Under have anything to worry about..

October 4, 2009 at 11:06 PM | Unregistered CommenterTim

to Domonic you could do beachyhead, brentwood or brentford then dublin you won't have time to yawn. t.l.o.

October 7, 2009 at 12:58 AM | Unregistered Commenteralan mann

Been rejected. How come the club draw is early this year? i thought it always took place first week in January. Anyway there's always brighton. Then again I think Majorca has a marathorn I know Madrid has one alot sunny than London!

October 11, 2009 at 10:38 AM | Unregistered CommenterTracey

Yes Alan, I remember you mentioning those three marathons in three days to Sally and I outside the pub after the last Rose Inn of 2007

October 11, 2009 at 5:40 PM | Unregistered CommenterDominic

The draw for Club places will take place on Thursday 26th November, you need to give your Rejection notification to Derek before the draw takes place. There are 3 criteria that you need to meet in order to be included:
1. You must provide your rejection notification
2. You must be a paid up member
3. You must be actively competing in races.

The reason for the earlier draw, as we did last year, is that with the entry dates and notification coming forward, by holding the draw earlier as well, this gives people more time to organise another marathon if they don't get lucky.

October 11, 2009 at 6:54 PM | Unregistered CommenterPhil