Old forum > Race Report - The Rab Mountain Marathon...

There was a time when Mountain Marathons were cold, wet and windy affairs. Not so last weekend when we got lucky (again). Conditions were perfect for the 2009 RAB MM, likewise the venue, Sedbergh and the much overlooked Howgills of Cumbria. Breathtaking (literally…), spectacular ups and downs, 50 control points to be had and bagged over a 6 hour/day 1 and 5 hour/day 2 slog – and all this on terrain guaranteed to separate the chaff (me and Graeme) from the wheat (proper fell-runners and orienteerers such as Caroline Dalymore and Phil Ward, Jemma’s dad).

The RAB is unusual in that both pairs of runners and individuals can enter and compete on equal terms (these events normally restricted to pairs for reasons of safety). Those running alone are also handicapped in having to carry ALL the kit (tent, stove, the telly etc). All the more remarkable therefore that Caroline finished second in the FV category, narrowly missing out by just three points to a pair of runners from Ilkley Harriers. Phil came 24th/81 in the MVs, Graeme and myself 50th. Best not to mention that Caroline finished on 340 points, 75 more than big strong chaps G and me (even though we ran as a pair and thus carried less). So I won’t…

The “tips” from the downhill and uphill running threads on the Croups Forum were applied G and I with great success – I couldn’t get up the hills (lack of fitness and excess of blubber), G couldn’t get down them (some juicy blisters c/o a pair of previously worn Inov8s). Luckily for G and I the Dalymores also did all the driving (thankyou !).

Those nice people from San Dom - Ian McDonald and Angela Heeley – were also there, finishing 4th in the mixed pairs. Amazing, especially as Ian is fairly new to M-Marathoning. Angela’s cattle prod may have helped though…

All in all a great team effort – the RAB highly recommended for those who prefer to run (or walk…) on surfaces designed by nature, rather than man

Result details on

http://www.darkandwhite.co.uk/results/Rab%20MM%2009%20Overall%20results.html

September 29, 2009 at 2:29 PM | Unregistered CommenterTim