Old forum > Summer Run 7.2643 miles

Out of curiosity I checked the distance of the summer run on Gmaps Pedometer & it came to 7.2643 miles if I got the route right. I wouldn't pay too much attention to the last two decimal places tho'! You can see it via the link below:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2653252

I also attempted a 'calibration' using Leckwith running track which came out as 401m. Not bad! The link for this is below:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2565695

September 22, 2009 at 5:56 PM | Unregistered CommenterHoward K

now you sad gadgetaters. here are a few things that must be taken into consideration. the coarse, where were you when you started your gadget.which could be anywhere from the club carpark to the trafic lights. then did you go thru the carpark or the muddy bit in haley park. did you go thro the woods along the canal. as this is a woody bit your gadget might loose reception, by the time it's found you, you could be on your way back along the river so the gadget measures from the time it lost reception till you get it back going the shortest route. then where do you finnish. (see start)
then there's the gadget itself which wrist did you have it on! if you have it on your left one it will go a shorter disdance than the right.how big is your arm swing, the bigger the swing the gadget goes back to where you already been.
it's a training run we know the club 10 is 91/2 or 1/4 or 1/8 leave your gadget at home (i dare you) and engoy the run.
this is ment to a funny dig

October 17, 2009 at 12:36 PM | Unregistered Commenteralan mann

Points taken in the spirit they were intended, no worries there, the thing is due to the gadget I have never had to guess how far I ran in a month. You can actually overlay a run on Google Earth and zoom in to see just where corners were cut or signals were lost, there is a footbridge with a spiral set of steps in Rogerstone and more often than not it will actually track around them which in theory it shouldn't be able to do.
My attitude to them is similar to treadmills, they're a tool which can be useful.

October 17, 2009 at 6:17 PM | Unregistered CommenterDominic