Old forum > Running uphill... uggghhhhhhhhhhhhh..

(It was only a matter of time)

Well I've learnt all sorts of interesting tips from Liz's "how to run downhill" thread..

1. Switch off brain, 2. Drink a bottle of WKR, 3. Change shoes on the way down, 4. Break fall in brambles etc

So now for the tricky bit !! Any advice for those of us who walked to the top at Machen ?

The Rab MM and the Howgills the weekend after next. And then the bl**dy OMM after that.

There may a hill or two...

September 16, 2009 at 9:45 AM | Unregistered CommenterTim

Just brute force and ignorance.........

September 16, 2009 at 7:46 PM | Unregistered CommenterJules

1. Switch off brain, 2. Drink a bottle of WKR, 3. Pull up socks. 4. Head down. 5. If the walkers are overtaking you ........ review your technique. 6. Search out some Jelly Babies. 7. Admire the flora and fauna. 8. Start talking to the nearest runner .... they'll slow down. 9. Wipe forehead. 10. Imagine your running downhill.
This list is not in any order of importance..

September 16, 2009 at 9:54 PM | Unregistered CommenterMike Davies

What is this life if, full of care / we find no time to stand and stare. Just pretend you're admiring the view, or if it's too foggy to see the view pretend you're lost.

September 17, 2009 at 8:29 AM | Unregistered CommenterAlan Mason

Mike - "Start talking to the nearest runner and they'll slow down". We'd never have guessed !

Cheers Alan, I have new mantra "Just pretend and admire the view". Getting lost comes naturally though...

PS What about training - does that help ?

September 17, 2009 at 5:48 PM | Unregistered CommenterTim

Head down, a**e up, plug away, pump those arms. Then enjoy a lunatic burst downhill.

September 17, 2009 at 8:22 PM | Unregistered CommenterSimon

Tim - good thread - I know I need all the help I can get on uphills!

I didn't walk the uphills at Machen, but may as well have been as I was being overtaken by people walking

Any suggestions on how to maintain some degree of speed whilst running uphill?

September 18, 2009 at 11:02 PM | Unregistered CommenterJenny H

For me there's no technique involved, its just the boring and predictable quads and cardio, I am mediocre in both areas.

Slightly digressing, I keep meaning to suggest to Greg (as he asked for suggestions) that for next year they have someone at the trig point taking splits, I noted mine and I saw that the Brecon Fan weekend quoted them in the results. Good idea or not ?

September 19, 2009 at 12:28 AM | Unregistered CommenterDominic

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I’m taking notes.

Jenny – I have no right to offer advice ! This has never stopped me in the past though (!!), so a few thoughts in order to contribute to the great debate. The Mountain Marathon season is also upon us (and there are a lot of experts out there...)

I suspect muscles may come in handy every now and then. My puny quads, calves and shoulders always remind me of this some 48 hours after a Mountain Marathon (luckily they tend to be OK on day 2 – touch wood..). Good fell runners have thighs built in a Polish shipyards (Paul Dawes got his there). Is there a case for weight training ? More so no doubt hill reps and increasing the ability to clear all that lactate one acquires. Oh, and mental toughness, Positive Mental Attitude etc. I’ve tried all that “The hills are my friend” mantra stuff though, but they still hate me…

Tactics can play a big part on the way up. Choosing the right line (zig zags can help, especially on scree), cheating (attaching a bungee to Mike Davies’ rucksac when he is not looking), and accelerating eye balls out prior to a known bottleneck ahead - aka Machen, Merthyr Mawr, and to a lesser extent Sodbury. This can be worth every drop of lactate as there is often lots of time to take a breather once you join the subsequent M4-esque growing traffic jam once you reach the obstacle in question. Sadly, I never learn this lesson - applying ‘Queue Theory’ at M.Mawr is probably worth 5 minutes…

And walking. On severe climbs there must come a point where walking is more effective than running. Using your hands, pushing them down on the knees (and not the thighs…) can also make a big difference when things get silly. I overtook loads of gasping “running runners” whilst walking/hand pushing up the final bit of Cadair Idris earlier in the year and felt a tad guilty. It was short lived though - most caught me on the way down..

Still, the very idea of walking seems traumatic for many runners, especially those who run on unnatural surfaces (road, track etc) where walking = failure. As a hill walker/jogger by nature I’ve got not such qualms. I also make a point of touching the trig point and looking at the view, should there be one.

Luckily for me there is no rule for running that counters the one they use in race walking (ie. "disqualified for walking"). Not sure about using a bungee though...

September 21, 2009 at 5:47 PM | Unregistered CommenterTim

It may well be quicker to 'briskly' walk up hill than run so don't worry about walking - with running up hills its about using your energy as effectively as possible. With long distance challenges we use 'Ruddles Rules' which is walk the ups!

September 21, 2009 at 7:55 PM | Unregistered CommenterJules