Old forum > Hope to get back to it

I was really disappointed not to run in the Castles this year, and even though I didn't run being a reserve totally wiped me out. I had to take a bit of time out afterwards and had to get back into it with an easy schedule. I booked a place in the Cardiff 10km and the half but have been very disappointed with my progress. I put it down to the hot weather but since its cooled I have laboured more!

I saw my doctor this morning after some tests and he says I have Hypothyroidism. He says this explains the muscle fatigue and lethargy and my symptoms should go in about a week with medication! I was so exhilarated leaving the surgery and I hope this means running will get a renewed lustre for me in the coming days. I haven't ventured down the club as I just couldn't face it . Didn't put my name down for the Cosmeston Relays as I'm not sure how I will feel from one day to the next lately. Hope everyone is well.

Hope to compete again soon.

August 7, 2013 at 2:58 PM | Unregistered CommenterLyndon Tudor Maisey

Glad you've got an explanation and can move on. See you at the Cardiff half I hope.

August 9, 2013 at 2:07 PM | Unregistered CommenterAlan Mason

Cheers Alan

Its a fairly complicated condition that you can get from a variety of things in my case most probably medication I was taking caused it. If your TSH levels (Thyroid Stimulation Hormone) go over 3 (I think it was) you are said to have it, and mine was 41.

Everybody is different and will react differently to treatment. Fingers crossed I react well quickly. Been researching the last couple of days to gain a good understanding of it, so wont go on as it will be a very long post.

Found this interesting article about Hypothyroidism in Athletics recently.

http://m.ibtimes.com/hypothyroidism-star-athletes-undiagnosed-epidemic-hormonal-gray-area-or-cloaked-doping-1196751

August 9, 2013 at 5:48 PM | Unregistered CommenterLyndon Tudor Maisey

Ran my 5km route tonight and felt great, my legs felt much lighter and stronger and the run felt much easier, although my cardio still felt poor. I completed the run in 20.04 which is amazing as 4 days ago I did it in 21.05! I hope I can start venturing further than 6 miles now and rebuilding my fitness again.

August 10, 2013 at 10:10 PM | Unregistered CommenterLyndon Tudor Maisey

good to see you back training Lyndon.. maybe see you at the Cardiff 10k or the half marathon,, ?

August 11, 2013 at 8:16 AM | Unregistered CommenterJames Bruce

Cheers James will look forward to it.

Only 28 days to the 10km and 56 days to the Half so enough time, lots of work to do though!

August 11, 2013 at 10:05 AM | Unregistered CommenterLyndon Tudor Maisey