Old forum > Brecon 10 prologue competion

To invoke some adrenaline for the Brecon 10 click the link below & listen to an extract from a '90's film.

Click me to hear film theme.

If you have a music player & sound on your computer, the player should launch & you should hear the excerpt.

What is the name of the film & the 3 big star actors involved?

What is the major, (& extremely violent), action sequence that follows?

... and for extra brownie points...

Who wrote the music, & what '70's band did he originally play in?

The competition is open to any who have not won before. Whoever answers the questions first can claim a free drink from me at the bar on a Thursday night.

Best of luck for the Brecon 10... ;-)

August 2, 2013 at 4:49 PM | Unregistered CommenterHoward Kent

Oops! Can't spell competition in title correctly!

August 2, 2013 at 4:51 PM | Unregistered CommenterHoward Kent

Don't worry about it... Howard. The music does lack a certain...... I don't know.... melody?
Unable to make the Brecon 10 but will be up for a chase in the Club TT.

August 2, 2013 at 5:43 PM | Unregistered CommenterMike Davies

Great choice Howard, one of my favourites and an awesome scene. I won't spoil it for others though as you have already bought me a pint for a previous competition. Lets hope the conditions aren't too hot on Sunday :)

August 2, 2013 at 11:33 PM | Unregistered CommenterAl Jones

I guess you mean the 5k TT, rather than the mile TT, Mike. Cheers, see you there.... ;-)

Hi Al, you must be something of a film buff. This one was not that easy. Lets see if anyone else gets it...
Just spent 2 weeks engaging in heat acclimatisation big time, It will probably rain, but that's OK.
The film sequence will be one of many that will be going though my mind before the event, to get the adrenaline going... ;-)

August 3, 2013 at 9:56 PM | Unregistered CommenterHoward Kent

Had to look up the composer and couldn't see anything about a former band though Howard... You aren't talking about the rockumentary one of the 3 actors also starred in..?

August 3, 2013 at 10:26 PM | Unregistered CommenterAl jones

Nooo....

August 4, 2013 at 8:07 AM | Unregistered CommenterHoward Kent

Well done to the Brecon bunch from the club - seemed to be loads of us there and well done to everyone who finished and to the prize winners, who I'm sure someone else can give details on. Believe Mick Tabor won the V60 in an excellent time of 65 minutes. Bright orange T shirt for finishers is very loud and colourful. Weather probably better for running than watching and more reminiscent of cross country!

August 4, 2013 at 2:47 PM | Unregistered CommenterDave Coles

Despite hideous weather Oliver Williams came 3rd and Claire Beatty 3rd lady. 100% effort from all Croups runners. Noone complained about the heavy rain, better than a heatwave!

August 4, 2013 at 7:48 PM | Unregistered Commenteramanda thompson

Some really Great runs today.

Especially Mick and Dave Proud.. you blasted past me up the hills it was like i was going backwards.. well done Chaps..excellent running..

Thanks to Dave for trying to get me to stick with him..

well done guys

James the Bruce

August 4, 2013 at 8:36 PM | Unregistered CommenterJames Bruce

Observation and question on new course which came back the lanes and avoided by pass - my Soleus measured it longer than expected (even allowing for my gait!) at 16.4km. I noticed that some of San Dom guys also measured it long. What did you think of course and (those that measured) of distance?

August 4, 2013 at 9:55 PM | Unregistered CommenterGerry Crispie

The turn around the cone bit threw me at fist as I was fully expecting to go up the steep but short hill so seeing runners coming back at me was confusing in my addled state. Course was still good as usual I thought and as we started and finished at the usual place we'll have descended and ascended the same feet as the old course. I found it was slightly long on my GPS but just put that down to inaccuracies on my Garmin at the time, although I've seen many others since who have noted the same.

Still a good run though and hats off to the many supporters and marshalls around the route stood out in the torrential rain cheering us on, it was a very soggy day!

Thanks to James for dragging me threw the middle miles and well done to Mick Tabor who is clearly getting back to some great form as he cruised past in the final miles.

August 4, 2013 at 10:51 PM | Unregistered CommenterDavey Proud

Yes. Was long on my Garmin as well. I really enjoyed the new course, very well marshalled. Couldn't find any water after finishing though.

August 4, 2013 at 11:23 PM | Unregistered CommenterMike Rossiter

Just to let you know that the Course HAS NOT been measured or Certified, so I don't know how accurate it is.

August 5, 2013 at 1:34 AM | Unregistered CommenterPhil Cook

My Garmin said 10.2, which is going to be close. There is less ascent with the new course though as the old course ended with a steepish hill up and a drop down to the finish, that up and down has been replaced by the flattish lane. I liked the last up and down, but the lane is good too.

August 5, 2013 at 8:56 AM | Unregistered CommenterTim Green

I got 10.2 also - not because I followed in Tims footsteps (as he shot off ahead after 7 miles)! Enjoyed it though and wasnt too sorry they omitted the steep hill near the end.

August 5, 2013 at 9:27 AM | Unregistered CommenterAine Kenny

I got 10.1 which is what I got for the old course. Maybe they are making the same mistake when they measure it.

The results are on brecon10.com now.

The clock on the lead car was slow looking at Amanda's videos and the results.

August 5, 2013 at 12:19 PM | Unregistered CommenterMatt Hurford

Matt.. glad you said that as I'm sure the clock at the finish was under 106 when I finished.. will check Amandas Video again tonight but i suspect that the confusion on the start maybe due to that.. becuase we started while one guy was talking on the mega phone..

but I did time myself as 106:08 allowing for a few seconds to stop the watch afterwards that seems right.. i think the clock at the end was wrong only... not my watch,.

August 5, 2013 at 12:56 PM | Unregistered CommenterJames Bruce

The RESULTS are now on-line..

August 5, 2013 at 4:24 PM | Unregistered Commentertim o'sullivan

I was feeling a bit down with my time, 70:19. I had forgotten that the course was different compared to the last time I did it, (2010, time 68:50).

My Garmin measured it long, too, 10.18miles. Assuming that this was the case, (& also that the 2010 course was 10miles), & recalculating the time for 10miles exactly, gives 69:04. Only 14s worse than 2yr ago. This gives me some recompense.

However, Phil is absolutely right to point out that the course lacks certified measurement. GPS data is also subject to error from various sources. Checking my pacing data over short distances gives highly variable results (& I do not believe them, I'm not that bad!). Checking mapping data over a course shows inaccuracies in the plot. You ought to see results for running round a 400m track! The plots are all over the place! Having said that, over a long distance, large loop course, say the clubs 5 & 10 mile races, the errors seem to average out, & I get believable results to 2 places of decimals. Though I suspect that this is more of a tribute to Phils dedication than my Garmin!

August 5, 2013 at 4:35 PM | Unregistered CommenterHoward Kent

... and in response to my own competition to which only Al seems to know the answer:-

The film is 'Heat', starring Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, & Val Kilmer.

The extract is just before the extremely violent bank heist & shoot out.

The music is 'Force Marker' by Brian Eno, who was keyboards/synth in Roxy Music. He also wrote the Windows start-up theme. (How sad is that!)

Looks like I'll have to drink my own pint on Thurs... ;-)

August 5, 2013 at 4:54 PM | Unregistered CommenterHoward Kent

Unfortunately my garmin decided to stop working before I even did my warm up so I had to run the race blind. I'd be happy if it was a bit long as that would probably equal a pb for me. I think I preferred the old course, rather get the hill out the way than have it drag on for the last mile.

August 5, 2013 at 10:00 PM | Unregistered CommenterOli Williams

Oli how does not having gps on hand mean 'running blind'? were there no mile markers?

August 5, 2013 at 11:14 PM | Unregistered Commenternick dukes

Nick - If your Garmin dies you have no watch ether! I doubt Oli was counting the seconds in his head :-)

August 5, 2013 at 11:44 PM | Unregistered CommenterStuart Crees

I tried Stu but I lost count after 17 seconds ;) My watch proper died Nick, as in no tick and no tock. The only time I saw the clock was on the lead car at the 1 mile marker, but that said we'd done it in 4.58 which definitely wasn't true!

August 6, 2013 at 11:03 AM | Unregistered CommenterOliver Williams