Old forum > Race Walking

On Sunday I did the walk at Solihul and it got me thinking ( dangerouse for me I know) I was the only welsh lady in the event while there seem to be two or more from the other teams. Now I know it's not for everyone and I do perfer to run but it would be good to have a few more ladies next year. It's not as easy as it looks and not a natural way of walking but can be quite challenging. Having a little look on the net there very little race walking in wales which in a way from what I was told was not surprising. I don't think may schools encourage it ( my school didn't) which in a way is dispointing as not every child wants to run and race walking may attract those who don't take to running. Even thought we are all runners at heart it is something to think about.

July 22, 2013 at 4:00 PM | Unregistered CommenterTracey Newman

we 'the little ones' have done the walk events in the past. we entered the event just for fun, to see what it was like. at the welsh masters there wasn't anyone the to way weather we were doing it right.
we represented wales at the national where there were proper officials. it was a great feeling to get disqualified. (that only proper athletes get disqualified)
it is a very hard event, it's not natural either.

July 22, 2013 at 10:24 PM | Unregistered Commenteralan s mann

Well done Tracey. It was great to see you competing in your Welsh vest.

Maybe Welsh Athletics could put you in touch with other athletes who also compete. Advice/coaching is quite often difficult to find and I take my hat off to the few who coach events in athletics (Phil Cook and Derek Williams ..... in our club).

Did the Olympics 2012 produce a surge in participation(in Wales)?
Are the coaches out there(in Wales)?
Is there funding for coaching courses(in Wales)?
Who is prepared to put the time and effort into such a demanding(rewarding?) task?

Hope you find what you're looking for Tracey.

July 23, 2013 at 9:54 AM | Unregistered CommenterMike Davies

There are some good training videos on U Tube on how to race walk. There is a race walkers association most of whose members live in Gwent but for some reason they will not join in with the Masters Athletics. Perhaps it is a bit like the feud between the road runners association and UK athletics.
The consequence for our team for Solihull is that one has to ask people to try the event without much if any background. Gwenno did the W50 race walk for the two years before her knee operation (not linked) and now Loretta, Sarah (Forest of Dean) and Tracey have all competed in the W35 category and gained valuable points.
For the men this year John Collins (Swansea) and John Davies (Port Talbot) walked.
I was well pleased with all three. Well done Tracey for taking on the challenge.

July 23, 2013 at 8:04 PM | Unregistered CommenterEirian Arwyn