Old forum > International Snowdon Race

Has anyone ever done this before? I'm doing it tomorrow, which should be lovely in this heat! Any advice if you have? Trail shoes needed or can I get away with road shoes as it's so dry? Thanks!

July 19, 2013 at 8:21 AM | Unregistered CommenterOliver Williams

Run within yourself - it's 5 miles up, and amazingly punishing. Then it's even worse coming down, as your legs will be shot after the climb. I haven't run it since 1988 - but it'll be just as tough! The first time I tried, in 1982, it was hot like now, and I tried too hard in the first half, and collapsed on the way down. The next time I ran in it, I held back a little, and it paid off, as I managed to run all the way up, and finished highly. I'd wear trail shoes. The path is very rocky. Good luck!

July 19, 2013 at 9:56 AM | Unregistered CommenterPhilip Hexter

Although I have not done this particular race myself, I did in fact compete in a race called the Snowdon 7, only last weekend.
The race involved climbing 7 peaks in Snowdon. It covered a distance of 23 miles as the crow flies, and involved climbing a total of 9 000 ft.
Our team of four came 2nd in the vets category.
Weather conditions, which will surely be similar to those which you will experience, could only be described as extreme and cruel.
I did suffer cramps and light headedness, from what must have been the effects of either dehydration or the beginnings of heat exhaustion, or more probably, a combination of both.
Make sure that you are as fully hydrated as possible before you start. Drink regularly and often during the race.
Wear suncream and a sun hat,
Take advantage of streams by dousing down with water but try and avoid drinking from them unless desperate,
If you can, try and take small amounts of energy giving foods / sweets during the run.
I like jelly babies. Nuts and raisins leave the mouth VERY dry in these weather conditions.
Flat shoes are not reccommended. Trail shoes as a minimum. The terrain is very challenging in that area.
Apply "Compede" blister plasters to any areas you know are prone to blisters. Do this BEFORE starting,
Carry a few spares just in case.
Definitely run within yourself and be careful not to over commit.
Start easy and finish hard if you've got anything left in the locker.
Good luck to you. Hope you enjoy it.
PS If you are staying in the area overnight, I can reccommend "Pete's Eats" cafe in Llanberis for a full and hearty breakfast for a carbo reload the next morning.

July 19, 2013 at 12:37 PM | Unregistered CommenterGary JOHN

Thanks both. Trail shoes it is then. I'm not planning on going crazy on it, just want to have done it. It'll be nice to see what the view from the top is actually like at last, it always seems to rain when I've gone up there before. The lake at the bottom will be looking very inviting at the finish!

July 19, 2013 at 10:03 PM | Unregistered CommenterOliver Williams

The view is sensatonal - enjoy. Tina.

July 19, 2013 at 11:06 PM | Unregistered CommenterTina Rossiter

Highlights of the race are on S4C now - you can also watch it later -

S4C

July 21, 2013 at 7:42 PM | Unregistered CommenterKevin James

Results

Oliver 89th - well done mate. How was it?

July 21, 2013 at 9:03 PM | Unregistered CommenterKevin James