Old forum > Rhondda Funrun 10 miles

Both Beth Lewis and Myself ran Rhondda Funrun 10 miles yesterday, although not such fun running in the heat. It was quite a hilly course mainly on the main road and through residential areas. The support was great for the whole of the 10 miles with people outside their houses, shops and cafes offering ice lollies and orange segments, cheering as you went past (the atmosphere reminded me of The Great North Run). Unfortunately, no medals were given and the t.shirt in the goody bag was a cotton one and quite bland. Having said that it was a great race and I will definitely do it again next year and would recommend it. Results were Beth Lewis 1.22.44 Michelle Amblin 1.29.31.
This was a popular race in 80's and 90,s but dwindled away to nothing. LR Sporting Events aim to bring back the event to those glory days and within a few years hope to reach new limits in what was once one of the most talked about events in the Welsh running calendar.
:-)

July 8, 2013 at 12:35 PM | Unregistered CommenterMichelle Amblin

Well done both of you. Great times too considering the conditions.

July 8, 2013 at 1:39 PM | Unregistered CommenterSteve Hitchen

Well done Beth and Michelle. I remember doing the Rhondda 10 in the mid--nineties and distrinctly remember it was a similarly hot day. I'm glad it's been revived.

July 8, 2013 at 2:49 PM | Unregistered CommenterClare J

Well done Michelle and Beth. I ran this race in the early 80s and the weather was so hot the fire brigade were out with their hoses!
It was always a great atmosphere with loads of locals lining the roads cheering the runners on. Good to see the Rhondda 10 back.

July 8, 2013 at 6:56 PM | Unregistered CommenterMick McGeoch

I remember that day Mick, I think those firemen were arrested shortly after the race!
Fantastic numbers running and supporting back then, good to see it has returned and is well supported again.
Well done all who ran in those hot conditions, not so hot as the Costa del Barry though !!!!

July 9, 2013 at 11:43 AM | Unregistered CommenterSteve B Lewis

I also did the Rhondda 10 on Sunday - extremely hot, but well organised run with tons of marshals and great support from the locals the entire route.

July 10, 2013 at 10:26 PM | Unregistered CommenterHoward Owen