Old forum > SSAFA this week (26 June)

Round two of the SSAFA 5km is on this week. The first race, held last month, was held in cool and windy conditions which had an adverse effect on finishing times. Numbers were up considerably on 2012, with 147 finishers. This was no doubt at least in part due to the presence of Martin Rees, and his well publicised attempt on the World Best for an M60 - which proved successful (in spite of the conditions).
In the meantime, Martin has taken another world best for 5 miles at Gloucester, and two weeks ago helped us regain the men's Castles title for the first time in 5 years. He also was the individual winner of the Brecon-Storey Arms stage, and at 60 years and 3 months set new figures in that department too.
Martin has broken so many records now that he now is starting to target his own! The weather forecast for this Wednesday is excellent - much warmer but more importantly, lighter winds. So that new record set last month of 16:17 is in big danger. Phil Cook and Ed Donovan both helped in last month's race. Today Steve "One Glute" Paterson has indicated that he too will help Martin in his quest. So how fast can he go? Is sub 16 minutes possible? Only one way to find out - the finish is at the back of the Blackweir Tavern on North Road - kick off 7.30PM (£5 to enter).

June 23, 2013 at 9:56 PM | Unregistered CommenterMick McGeoch

I shall be running this. I'm expecting to lose sight of Martin after about 500m.

June 25, 2013 at 7:33 AM | Unregistered CommenterAlan Mason

I may run (enjoyed the last one lots, however rubbish my running) but expect to get lapped by the great man!

The SSAFA is a special event, for a very worthy cause - the original 'help for heroes'?

June 25, 2013 at 6:56 PM | Unregistered Commentertim o'sullivan