Old forum > Supplementation! pils to inprove your health??

Not a big fan of this until recent months! For years I have always taken vit C or multivit that dissolves into a drink. Back last June I started to get a lot of pain
around my heel area, this got that bad by august that I stopped running, I couldn't even have a kick about with my boy without being in pain! During this time I had seen a private physio, xray, doctors twice more physio, then I had ultrasound, eventually I got to see a foot and ankle consultant. I am diagnosed with Haglund's deformity (aka the mulhulland defomity I thought It was linked to my achillies tendon but it's actually an inflammation of the bursa, a fluid-filled sac between the tendon and the heel bone, so the constant rubbing with my normal trainers were aggravating me.
Now I cut down the Achilles part of the shoe or buying running shoes with no heel cup. Going back to when I was really injured! I used to get up every morning, very sore, walking like a robot (supporting myself down the stairs like a old man!)in the mornings.
With the above condition it was everynight with ice or 'deepfreeze gel' (best thing ever invented!). Jan this year I managed to get back running (just).
Al jones Mentioned he takes extra supplement's. So back in april until now, I now take glucosomine sulphate and Omega 3 fish oils every day and do you know what? I don't get any stiffness in the mornings. So do they work? or is it just me?

June 16, 2013 at 8:59 PM | Unregistered Commenternick dukes

I think because you're getting you're not getting any stiffness in the morning now. Just a thought :)

June 16, 2013 at 10:11 PM | Unregistered CommenterStuart Crees

"Getting older"

June 16, 2013 at 10:13 PM | Unregistered CommenterStuart Crees

I have suffered with achilles problems for a number of years including bursitis in both heels although I was taking glucoasamine and cod liver oil during this time. My problem finally seems to be clearing up due to the use of orthotics as fundamentally I understand that most of these types of problems stem from mechanical issues that are exacerbated as you get older. I have found the main benefit of cold liver oil to be that it assists your immune system. Glucoasamine which I take accompanied by chondrotin is supposed to help replace soft tissue which obviously is subject to greater stresses from running.

June 16, 2013 at 10:15 PM | Unregistered CommenterClive Osmond

In all seriousness I uses to take glucosamine for a few years, for no other reason than I read it was good for you. I decided to stop a few years ago and in my opinion is didn't make any difference. I think most supplements are a waste of money, you just need to eat a sensible diet.

June 16, 2013 at 10:24 PM | Unregistered CommenterStuart Crees

Apparently as you age your body is less able to extract and use important chemicals from food that it needs to maintain and repair the soft tissue. Chondrotin as a supplement is spposed to fill this gap. Notwithstanding this I agree that a healthy and balanced diet will negate the need for most supplements.

June 16, 2013 at 10:40 PM | Unregistered CommenterClive Osmond

Couldn't agree more Clive, re 'a healthy balanced diet negating the need for supplements'. There are some cases when nutritional supplementation is essential eg in diseases of potential malabsorption such as cystic fibrosis or coeliac disease or in actual proven clinical nutritional deficiency. However for the general population Clive's words are true.

Nick Re Glucosamine suphate / chrondrotin it's unlikely that it would have helped your achilles as the primary role of the supplement is to aid arthritic pain by supplementing cartilage structure eg in joints such as the knee. It's equivocal / debatable whether the supplement actually makes a significant difference, as only a few trials have show positive results whilst many others show no positive results at all. Interestingly Cardiff and Vale orthopaedic doctors used to prescribe loads of the stuff as standard practice I'm led to believe however when the purse strings of the health board were tightened glucosamine suphate was struck off the list of prescribable items as a result of the poor supporting evidence for it's use.

Re omega 3 fish oils, the evidence is much more supportive across many health issues including joint health (probably due to its anti-inflammatory properties), heart health (it's proven to reduce cardiac events), mental health (possible benefits with depression, schizophrenia and ?ADHD). If you don't eat oily fish regularly (eg weekly) then maybe a supplement is for you, but make sure it's a pure form (as free chemicals and other toxins eg heavy metals as possible) and if possible get omega 3 oils from the flesh of oily fish rather than cod liver oil (the liver of the cod is the storage site for said toxins etc).

Straying off my topic of nutrition and venturing into topics I know little of, I've struggled with achilles issues for a while also and have made many changes in the last year to shoes, orthotics and the like in a bid to manage the problem. I think Clive is right again when he says it's an age thing! From what I've come to understand as we get older so our achilles tend to shorten and can then become overly stretched if we don't address it. Rubbing of shoes on achilles can also irritate them. Recently 2 things seem to have helped me manage my achilles problems. Firstly I had my orthotics reviewed (been wearing them for 6 years) and this time around the therapist increased the height of the orthotic by 3mm in the heel to take the stretch out of the achilles. Secondly I changed my work shoes which had a narrow heel and I think were irritating my achilles on a daily basis. Gradually the pain is receding (it would probably heal quicker if I rested but I've had enough of resting up over the last few years). I'm also very religious with my daily stretching these days also!!

Pleased to hear things are improving Nick!! What ever you're doing it's working for you.

June 17, 2013 at 12:17 AM | Unregistered CommenterDavey Proud

Nick, I hope you are stretching those calves out now! Obviously shouldn't attempt to 'diagnose' over the net but with the tightness in mornings, which I would presume eased after walking a while, that would suggest calf tightness pulling the Achilles which would then press against the bursa. Lots of running, not much stretching, and yes, old age ;) will lead to reduced flexibility.

Yes, cutting the heel tab from shoes will help but that doesn't solve the probable main culprit. This is why orthotics are rarely the answer. They address the symptoms and not the cause and eventually lead to issues elsewhere.

Oh, and supplements. Few are needed if your diet is good. Vit C is essential for keeping soft tissues in good order as it is needed for collagen health but you can get this from fruit and veg so no need for supps. Reduced collagen = tight tissues

June 18, 2013 at 2:33 PM | Unregistered CommenterMartin Haley

Nick, I really hope things work out for you whatever the treatment.

However, without going into great detail, I thoroughly endorse everything that has been said above, as I've been through similar issues.

Perhaps we should have a seminar on our experiences & treatments?

June 20, 2013 at 4:05 PM | Unregistered CommenterHoward Kent

Thanks for all the responses nice one! Martin your input have been invaluable, thanks. Howard maybe we should! How about asking Martin Haley to come along one Thursday eve to have a discussion.

June 20, 2013 at 9:23 PM | Unregistered Commenternick dukes