Old forum > Care needed on Castles Relay Stage 20 ~ Cooper’s Field and Bute Park

There is a Circus taking place on Sunday afternoon in Cooper’s Field so runners need to be aware that there may be more activity than normal in that area, also with the weather forecast looking good this is bound to add to the obstacles (people) to be encountered.

The Circus is for children with disabilities (some are blind children) and is a 90 minute showing at 2pm and 5pm so children and families will be exiting the big tent at 3.30pm and travelling to the tent at around 4.30pm for the next show. This will obviously coincide with the time when the runners will be coming through the park on the last leg. I feel it would be extremely embarrassing if one of our runners ran one of the kids over. They would maybe not see or understand a runner coming flat out towards them.

So, in order to prevent any potential collisions and the fact that these kids may not see or be aware of the runners, could you please make sure that this is brought to the attention of ALL runners. It may well mean that there has to be extra marshals in the area around Cooper’s field next to the route/path beside the river Taff where the runners will come through. If you can help out with this please let Claire or Kirsty know.

June 4, 2013 at 12:28 PM | Unregistered CommenterPhil Cook

Phil - Kirsty - Claire

Upon completetion of my duties as a flying marshal, and time permitting I am happy to assist as extra cover in that area.

Mal

June 4, 2013 at 6:28 PM | Unregistered CommenterMAL Firouz

As long as I am not down for any other duties on Sunday, I can wander around in the area and help out. Just a thought,--why not route the runners over the Weir bridge and down the other side of the river and back over the footbridge by the cafe( millenium bridge ? ).

June 4, 2013 at 9:21 PM | Unregistered CommenterAlan Bladen

Thanks for your kind offer to help out in the park. Greatly appreciated.
The currrent route is best for runners to navigate through a busy park. The Millenium Footbridge is fairly narrow and can be busy because of the large car park the other side.

June 4, 2013 at 9:39 PM | Unregistered CommenterSasha Macken

I can be there Sunday if it helps!

June 4, 2013 at 10:05 PM | Unregistered CommenterTim Green

Thanks Mal, Alan and Tim! We have been very fortunate and had around 25 Les Croups women volunteering to help marshal on Sunday :) I have allocated an extra 4 ladies around the Cooper's field area so I am hoping there will be no issues. Any extra help is however always appreciated so if you are free and going to be in the area then that would be fab! I will be at the castle entrance from 3 but beforehand will be cycling up the route handing out bibs so I can catch you then. Thanks again.

June 5, 2013 at 12:26 PM | Unregistered CommenterKirsty Roberts