Old forum > London Good For Age 2014

The ballot is now open & they have put the 2014 GFA requirements on the website - for ladies aged 18-39 it is now 3:45 down from 3:50 see info below:-

If you've already run a full marathon in a particularly fast time, you might qualify for an automatic 'good for age' entry into the 2014 Virgin Money London Marathon.

Do I qualify?
You can apply for a good for age entry if you've run a full marathon in the same time, or faster than, the times listed below:

Men Time (in hours) Women Time (in hours)
Age 18 - 40 sub 3:05 Age 18 - 40 sub 3:45
Age 41 - 49 sub 3:15 Age 41 - 49 sub 3:50
Age 50 -59 sub 3:20 Age 50 -59 sub 4:00
Age 60 - 64 sub 3:45 Age 60 - 64 sub 4:30
Age 65 - 69 sub 4:00 Age 65 - 69 sub 5:00
Age 70 - 75 sub 5:00 Age 70 - 75 sub 6:00
76+ sub 5:30 76+ sub 6.30

April 29, 2013 at 7:26 AM | Unregistered CommenterAnge Champion

Next years 3.45 should be achievable.

April 29, 2013 at 7:54 AM | Unregistered CommenterAndrew Sedgmond

I signed up for the main ballot before I looked at GFA thinking its still 3:15 only to find out its now 3:20 which I've achieved in Paris just hope I can apply for GFA now ?

April 29, 2013 at 8:57 AM | Unregistered CommenterDavid E Williams

A big well done to Jeff Ashton.. i'm really gald that the orgnaisers finally have understood that a 59 year old doing 315 is not the same as a 41 year old.. and that a 21 year old doing 310(last years time is not the same either..)..

glad they have sensible times.. perhaps it would be nice if they had 55-60.. but at least it has changed..

ps.. dave phone them and ask.. about GFA.. entry.. and send everything signed off post.. (just in case.. )..

Im really gald you are in good for age.. you deserve it.

April 29, 2013 at 1:02 PM | Unregistered CommenterJames Bruce

Dave, I am sure it is fine as you could enter the ballot and still get a GFA time later in the year and therefore not require the ballot place.

April 29, 2013 at 1:12 PM | Unregistered CommenterAl Jones

Dave,
I did the same as you last year - enter the ballot, then realise I should have gone the GFA route.
If you apply via GFA later this year for your Paris time with evidence, then call Virgin London Marathon via their web site link, they will confirm that you've applied twice and check that you've supplied the correct evidence, and remove you from the ballot.

April 29, 2013 at 1:28 PM | Unregistered CommenterKevin Jones

I spoke with the London marathon this afternoon and they said come May apply and they'll up grade me from the ballot to GFA as long as I can show the time has been achieved, happy days :O)

April 29, 2013 at 5:40 PM | Unregistered CommenterDavid E Williams

Well I think the London Marathon organisers are a bunch of sweeties.
Just as I think I'm in a bit of trouble having plummeted to 3:18:40 from 3:03 last year, they change the goalposts to let me in.
I always knew they recognised talent when they saw it.
To Jeff Aston - thank you for all your hard work - it's about time they listened to you!

April 29, 2013 at 10:15 PM | Unregistered CommenterMick McGeoch

Thanks Jeff. It eases the pressure significantly...... Eager to give it another go.

May 1, 2013 at 2:12 PM | Unregistered CommenterMike Davies

Is there any public acknowledgement of Jeff having transformed a major part of the most prestigious marathon in the world?

May 1, 2013 at 2:47 PM | Unregistered Commenteramanda thompson

Jeff's original statistics, submitted to Dave Bedford, fell on deaf ears. The second application sent to the new director, Hugh Brasher, with the backing of British Masters, seemed to have stirred them into action. They still actually ignored Jeff's excellent figures and have produced their own GFA figures. On looking through them, there are some winners and some bigger losers. The o/50 men now have their own age group (previously 41 to 59) and have been allowed an extra 5 minutes and the 60 to 64 men have gained a whopping 15 minutes. On the down side the 65 to 69 women and the 70 to 75 women will have to run 30 minutes quicker than in previous years to qualify. They are also ignoring the IAAF rule of recognising masters at 35 years of age.
At least they have made some changes, of which I am sure was prompted by Jeff's original submission, although, to date we still haven't received any reply to the correspondence sent to Hugh Brasher.

May 10, 2013 at 5:32 PM | Unregistered CommenterMel James

The info below tells us how to enter GFA for 2014. It has gone online for the first time and it reads to me like it opens on 24th June but it isn't clear whether it will be for the day only??? For those concerned put it in your diary so you don't forget.

How do I apply?
If you are a UK resident and have achieved a Good for Age qualifying standard (listed in the table above) you will need to return to this page on 24th June 2013 to enter, via a link hosted on this page.

To gain a Good for Age entry you are required to show us proof of your qualifying time in a Full Marathon (26.2 Miles) achieved from 1st January 2012 and proof of Identity.

Accepted proof of result must be uploaded in the following format:

Scanned PDF or similar format.

URL link to the Marathon results site.

Accepted proof of Identity must be uploaded in the following format:

Scanned PDF or similar format of - UK Driving License (full or provisional) or UK Passport.

Please note: The Good for Age entry category in the Virgin Money London Marathon is only open to UK residents

June 1, 2013 at 4:35 PM | Unregistered CommenterAnge Champion

Thanks Ange.

June 3, 2013 at 4:12 PM | Unregistered CommenterMike Davies

And this is why I spent half my day over in Swansea applying for a British drivers license. By pure coincidence my Irish one expired last week. I was about to renew my Irish one until I read the Good for Age conditions! I would have thought proof of address or a Personal Insurance Number would suffice but no! So I'll have my UK drivers license in 5 to 10 days (just in time for June 24th!).

June 3, 2013 at 5:38 PM | Unregistered CommenterAine Kenny

It loo. The ks as if we from the 24th to the 8th July The following is from their web site.

If you are a UK resident and have achieved a Good for Age qualifying standard (listed in the table above) you will need to return to this page on 24th June 2013 to enter, via a link hosted on this page. Applications must be made no later than the 8th of July at 5pm, late applications will not be accepted under any circumstances

But best to "Book Early" as they used to say on the Pontins add.

June 18, 2013 at 11:44 PM | Unregistered CommenterMartin, The Wizard, Williams