Old forum > Have you a broken Garmin?

We had one, and it was three years old so out of its guarantee.

We sent an email off to Garmin Europe and this is from the email we had.

"Less than a year - Please send us a copy of the purchase receipt (via
email is fine) along with your name, delivery address and daytime phone
number. We'll then create a returns number for you and get you to send
the device to us for replacement under warranty.

More than a year - We can replace the device for you at a fixed rate
cost of £51.48 inc VAT plus postage one way. If you would like to do
so, please call us on 0808 238 0000 (walking and fitness) with your
credit card details

Your replacement unit in either instance will be an as-new refurbished
unit of the same model with a year warranty on it. Unfortunately we are
not able to offer an upgrade or part exchange."

So we sent ours off and had an as new 305 for Less than £60 including postage.

Just a heads up really if you have an old, un-working model it may be worth getting in touch.

Mike

July 26, 2011 at 7:57 PM | Unregistered CommenterMike Rossiter

Now you tell me!

Actually I'd heard Garmin were pretty good re providing good product support for iffy products with no questions asked, makes you wonder how much faith they put in the gear themselves if they're so happy to replace for minimal cost?

My 305 conked out 1 week ago after 6 years of continoues use so I upgraded with a 405cx, brand new off a well known on-line shopping site for £162.(in the shops for £290). My 305 was wearing out anyway with buttons getting stuck and worn and the strap snapping several times and being held together with tape!

I'm really pleased with my 405cx, but rest assured any problems it's good to know Garmin are there...

July 26, 2011 at 9:38 PM | Unregistered CommenterDavey Proud

Davey If you're interested in giving your 305 a new owner, I'll contact Garmin to get it re-furbished.

Hi Mike, did Garmin mention needing a receipt for products more than a year old?

July 26, 2011 at 10:05 PM | Unregistered CommenterMatt Hurford

Hi Matt.

Nope, all I had to do was send the watch.

I sent an email to: ProductSupport@garmin.com telling them the problem. They replied with that email I quoted in my original post. We sent ours off in the post (cost £5.45) and it only took 7 days to have the as new replacement.

I hope this helps.

July 27, 2011 at 7:32 AM | Unregistered CommenterMike Rossiter

Thanks Mike, looks like a way to avoid the ups and downs of Ebay.

What do you think Davey?

July 27, 2011 at 12:32 PM | Unregistered CommenterMatt Hurford

I have a broken 305 too, free to a good home.

July 27, 2011 at 12:39 PM | Unregistered CommenterEd Donovan

Mr Hurford, you are the online version of an 'ambulance chaser'*.

*(nice bit of lateral thinking - Where there's muck, there's brass).

:)

July 27, 2011 at 1:01 PM | Unregistered CommenterSimon Nurse

I have a broken home containing a Garmin. Does this count?

July 27, 2011 at 2:08 PM | Unregistered CommenterMatt Townsend

Broken foot with a Garmin?

July 27, 2011 at 3:06 PM | Unregistered CommenterAi-Lin Kee

@Simon, from a 201 to a 305, progress, it's the only way forward :). Thanks Ed, as you posted first I'll give your 305 a good home.

July 27, 2011 at 5:43 PM | Unregistered CommenterMatt Hurford

No probs, I'm not offended Mat honest! A good piece of recycling making the world a happier place!

As you're sorted I may just get my 305 swapped and then use it as back up for when my 405 surely goes t**ts up!

July 27, 2011 at 11:17 PM | Unregistered CommenterDavey Proud

Davey, good work fella. Ed, i might not be at training tonight, so magor? Or could meet you after the park run?

July 28, 2011 at 8:14 AM | Unregistered CommenterMatt Hurford

Hi Editorial Team.

A while ago was a thread regarding Garmin watches.

I have scrolled back but havn't come accross it.

Any chance it can be found ?

Cheers

October 21, 2011 at 2:31 PM | Registered CommenterEditorial Team

I got ed's old 305 and sent it off, paid the said fee, the only problem was the 305 they sent could not get a satellite fix. Garmin advised me to go to an open space for 20 mins so i tried the 305 in the middle of the playing fields in Heath and could not get a gps signal. Garmin advised me to send it back and i did and received a 305 that gets a gps signal within a minute or two. So a happy ending, and does any other company offer this refurbished model with warranty offer? Not that i know of.

October 21, 2011 at 7:47 PM | Unregistered CommenterMatt Hurford

Nice one Matt.

I'm pleased someone else got some benefit from this great service from Garmin.

October 23, 2011 at 12:28 PM | Unregistered CommenterMike Rossiter

I broke my original 405 (which was nearly a year old) by hitting too many things running downhill and they replaced with new in 6 days, Steve Paterson drowned his at the Aquathlon and I believe he had the same service.

October 23, 2011 at 3:20 PM | Unregistered CommenterDominic Shields

I plan to attempt a mini Tri next year, can you use a Garmin 305 in the swimming pool?

October 23, 2011 at 3:44 PM | Unregistered CommenterGareth Rees

Only if you want to drown it

October 23, 2011 at 5:16 PM | Unregistered CommenterDominic Shields

Have just experienced Garmins excellent Customer Services. Very impressed. Can i just ask one question though ?? Is everybody happy with the readings they get from their GPS Watches ?? I upgraded from a Forerunner 50 (Footpod) to a 405CX (GPS) and the difference in the readings between both is not vast but over a Mile its about 100mtrs. I knew my FR50 was accurate because i used to calibrate it on the track. Any thoughts ??? Or should i contact Garmin and ask for an ' as new ' pair of legs !!!!!

October 25, 2011 at 3:00 PM | Unregistered CommenterEvatt Cummings

Provided the sky is not obscured and you get a lock etc before starting, GPS will always outperform a footpod, the snag with calibrating on a track is that (for me) I don't run remotely similarly on the track to how I run on the road let alone downhill off-road.

October 25, 2011 at 5:22 PM | Unregistered CommenterDominic Shields

My Garmin 205 is generally out by about 1%. E.g. on a certified 5km course, it will read 5.05 km; a half-marathon generally reads 13.22 miles etc. Of course, this could be me not following the racing line exactly. I take this in to account when planning race paces etc.

October 25, 2011 at 11:30 PM | Unregistered CommenterMatt Hopkins

Matt, that is quite good really, as any road race has 1 metre per kilomitre add.

October 26, 2011 at 7:49 AM | Unregistered Commentera s mann

I did a track session wearing the 405 last night and it was absolutely bang on every time. This has confirmed my worst fears.........I'm not running very fast !!!!! Another call to Garmin is in order I think !!!!

October 26, 2011 at 5:41 PM | Unregistered CommenterEvatt Cummings

Yeah, I've always been happy with the accuracy of my watch. You just need to be aware of limitations of GPS systems compared with the more accurate methods employed for course measurement.

October 26, 2011 at 6:22 PM | Unregistered CommenterMatt Hopkins

bump as there's a broken garmin thread. Might be of use.

June 16, 2012 at 12:04 PM | Unregistered CommenterMike Rossiter